Sunday, August 19, 2012

159 days

**This photo has nothing to do with my post really but I just love it. Try as I might some days I just can't stay grumpy in the morning with that face. And I try really hard sometimes**

In 159 days (5 months and 6 days) it's my birthday. My 30th birthday to be exact. I'm actually okay with turning 30. For some reason turning 26 was really tough but 30? So far I'm not freaking out about it, although I still have time so I might be singing a different tune in a few months.

Long long ago in a far away land (Provo, circa 2003) I decided I wanted to run a marathon by my 30th birthday. I always thought I had oddles of time. And I did. When I was 20, then 25, then 28 and then I had a baby. Trying to train for anything with a baby (or maybe just with Moses) is hard.

I am constantly tired, ridiculously so. Moses is like the energizer bunny all day long. He is still a horrible sleeper. Ask my mom and she'll back me up. I think she used to think I was exaggerating the situation but then she spent a week with us and now she can attest to it. He doesn't sleep in the car, or on the train or in his stroller, or when he's tired. I hard to physically restrain him in a place with no visible distractions. But I digress. Back to me and my constant exhaustion.

Its really hard to convince yourself to go out and train when you've only slept for 6 hours in 3 different blocks the night before. Or when you've spent the day chasing your child across the park or around the pool. Or when he's thrown so many tantrums that you're ready to throw him out the window. As you can imagine Mosey doesn't like to be in the jogging stroller for long periods of time. He gets bored, which I can't really blame him. And he's figured out how to get out. Which I find really unpleasant. A few months ago he refused to go back in and would immediate wiggle his way out again and I ended up walking home, pushing the stroller with one hand and while holding a tantrum throwing Moses in the other. When I finally got home, 45 minutes later, I cried and swore off running for a while. But I'm back on the wagon and Andreas comes with me so its nicer (he pushes the stroller through the forest and up the mountain near our house and deals with a sometimes cranky Mosey. What's not to like about that?) And he pushes me to run faster, harder, longer.

My goal has changed from a marathon (2003) to a half marathon (probably around 2009) to a 10K (2012). We are shooting for a race in October. Cross your fingers.

Only 159 days left.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

You can do it, girlfriend!

Honestly, I have never gone running with Lars. The thought of it is making me tired...

grannybabs said...

I wish you luck at meeting your goal. And I am once again grateful that I had 6 kids - and everyone of them was a great sleeper! I count my blessings!!

Betsy said...

I used to run with hazel. It was hard. But I found if I bribed her with treats she would last longer. But she only got them if she stayed in the stroller. Glad that Andreas can help you out.