Monday, August 13, 2012

The German Connection

So last week we took a 7.5 hour train ride to northern Germany to the very place where the Kerksieks originated from. We still have family there actually and that was the whole reason we went.
 Meet Johann Kerksiek. He is my grandfather's first cousin. My grandfather's father was brothers with Johann's father. He turned 100 on August 6th. 100! Can you believe that? !
 And there was a huge celebration. The part lasted from 10:30 AM to 9 PM. The longest party I have ever been to. I was exhausted by the end of the event and I'm only 29! Then again I had to chase after crazy Moses the whole time and that is always tiring. The day began with a horn group from his church playing hymns while everyone sang along.
 Moses was charming everyone, including Hans (aka Johann). The were fast friends by the end of the evening.  We ate lunch for literally 4 hours, saw a slide show of Hans' life and then received a surprise visit from a Samba band!
 It was really cool actually. Hans' daughter Angela is part of the group. My parents have kept in touch with Angela over the years and we actually stayed with them.
 Moses and Hans checking out the drums (I told you they were besties).
 Moses got a little stir crazy so we went for a walk in the woods nearby. Also, don't you think my husband is handsome?
 The forest is Moses heaven- all the sticks he can eat.
 I ran across this trail. Hermann is actually my grandfather's first name. He never liked it and went by Harry. Hans told me a story about he and my grandpa biking on this trail.
 Poor Mosey, he had a nasty fall. I look cruel laughing in this picture but he was being so dramatic. I can't imagine where he gets that from.
 But he recovered soon enough. Especially when we got back to the party and everyone was clucking over him. I went to the bathroom to wash him off and a elderly lady there chastised me for being too rough and took over the project. Germans are more likely to tell you how they see it. A good quality I feel.
Here I am with Hans' two daughters Angela and Suzi.

We had a great time and I hope to be able to stay in contact with the Kerksieks in Germany. Families need to stick together. I need to work on my German though. I'm glad Andreas came with me because I was lost half the time.

3 comments:

Alice said...

so glad that you could go. Wish that we had been able to go as well.

Eliza said...

ok I love EVERYTHING about this post.

grannybabs said...

What a great story!! So glad you went!