Sunday, February 07, 2010

Part 2- Bergen

*I figure the ever-so-interesting saga of Hester and Andreas will come in weekly installments (when I remember).
Andreas and I had only been together for a few weeks when we went to Bergen last September. In fact I didn't even know if we were "together" together at that point in time. I had decided not to over think it so I was just going with the flow. I had to go to Bergen (a harbor city on the west coast of Norway) for work and was planning on staying for the weekend. I really wanted to ask Andreas to come along but I was too chicken. The whole "go with the flow" thing was a good idea in concept but that also translated into me having absolutely no idea where we stood and therefore not too sure about the whole "trip together" thing. Then about a week before the trip he asked me if he could come along! YAY! two problems solved at once. One, he was coming along just like I wanted and two, it was totally his own idea. Perfect.

So Andreas tagged along and we had a blast together. We walked around Bergen, took a long hike, ate tasty fish and chips, bought ridiculous sunglasses and spent about 72 hours straight together without killing one another. I think that was a turning point in our relationship. A sure sign of success.

We also took a 3 hour ferry ride down the fjord (side note: I love the word fjord. How can you not love it? Anyways I digress). He told me later, much much later, that it was on that boat ride that he decided he was going to marry me. I, on the other hand, had decided that we were in fact "together" together, as in, we were dating. Gotta love it.

4 comments:

Sarah J said...

Love it! The story as well as the word "fjord." In fact, one of my favorite homemade ice cream places in South Dakota is name's Fjord's!! Don't worry, this is the first of many comments on your fantabulous story! I just could never figure out why you never changed your "relationship status" on facebook but perhaps it was because you were so "go with the flow..." Didn't last for long! (This is Sarah Staley Ravenberg by the way) xo

grannybabs said...

Love the latest installment.

And Bergen looks like a lovely town!!

Leslie said...

This is so sweet! Yeah!!!

Alice said...

We loved Bergen when we went there. I want to go again and go on the cable ride. There is just so much we want to do but so little time.