Monday, May 04, 2009

Norwegian as a Second Language

So I took several months of language training before moving here and felt "okay" about my skills. Yeah....and then I arrived. 

So I was riding the bus home from church yesterday and about 3 stops before mine (I kept checking the map in my purse to make sure I was on the right route) the driver gets on the intercom and says something, I had no idea what. Granted I am in no way fluent but I had just left a 3-hour block of church and had understood about 80% of what went on so I was feeling pretty confident. Little did I know. Besides, who can understand what is ever said over intercoms on buses, planes, in airports etc? It should have been a sign that most of the passengers stood up and got off the bus. The driver promptly skipped all the remaining stops and I ended up on the outskirts of town in suburbia.  "Not a problem" I say to myself. "I can just take the next bus going back into town." Right? Wrong. I attempted to board the next bus. The driver asked me what stop I wanted to go to (in norwegian mind you), I replied (in norwegian as well) and he promptly told me in english that I'd have to walk, that the bus wasn't stopping there that day. So, I walked the 20 minutes home, uphill, in heels and a wrap dress without a sweater. 

But I learned my lesson...always carry flip-flops. 

7 comments:

grannybabs said...

That sounds like the sort of thing I would do!!

But it does make a wonderful blog post doesn't it!!??

Alice said...

I have done that a time or two when I was in Sweden. It does make you feel quite stupid.

N8ster said...

I still remember the day that I realized I truly understood Bulgarian. After living there over a year, for the first time, I understood that the announcer at the train station was saying--"the passenger train from Sofia is arriving on the 3rd platform. . ."

It is definitely difficult to understand what they say over the intercom.

Keli said...

I'm glad you made it to Norway! I haven't checked your blog in a while, but I knew you would be there soon. Is Norway like Denmark where everybody rides bikes everywhere? Cause that would be so cool.

Earl and Vickie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Earl and Vickie said...

Hey, don't feel bad. I went on my mission to England, (in theory they speak ENGLISH there) and on my way to my first area, they gave me a 3X5 card with the information about the trains I was supposed to take to get to my area. The guy at the train station spoke SOMETHING, but it wasn't any English I knew. I asked him three times. Then I just took a chance and got on a train. At least I eventually made it to my area...... Of course it might have made a diffence that I was there as a missionary and not for the government, the Lord does tend to look out for his missionaries. You do carry a cell phone, right?
About Norway, we were thinking about visiting you next summer, after I get off on the 9th of July.

Eliza said...

If it helps at all, I never have a clue what they are saying over the intercom on the DC metro. And I'm pretty sure they're speaking English!